The city gate was built between the late fourteenth century and the beginning of the fifteenth, when the city walls were enlarged. The origin of the name is probably linked to the moat known by the name Galiziano, where a spring was built to be used as wash house and drinking trough.
Porta Galiziano has undergone several renovations over time. The most relevant are the ones dated 1566 and 1775: the external façade was designed in Neoclassical style, also adding pinnacles on the top. It served as a guardhouse in defence of the village.
In 1894 the gate was renovated once again.